Happy Friday the 13th. If you’re the superstitious kind, you might want to avoid this list entirely, as I list thirteen random facts about “Friday the 13th.” Perhaps you might learn something new about your friendly neighborhood movie critic.
You might also be surprised to see how much of an influence “Friday the 13th” and Jason Voorhees has had on my life.
12. The first “Friday the 13th” I’ve ever seen was “The Final Chapter.”
11. The “Friday the 13th” we were forbidden from seeing was “Jason Lives.” I never found out why.
10. I had the “Friday the 13th” NES video game as a child and played it often. Not surprisingly I never got far, and Jason always massacred me.
8. I didn’t get to see the original “Friday the 13th” well into my pre-teens. And I’m still not the biggest fan.
7. The costume I wore most frequently for Halloween as a child was Jason Voorhees, with a grand total of three times. All times I donned a plastic machete and spray painted blood spatters. There’s never not a good time to be Jason.
5. So far, “Freddy vs. Jason” is the only “Friday the 13th” film I’ve ever actually seen in theaters, as I was too young to go see “Jason Takes Manhattan.”
4. “Jason Lives” is my favorite “Friday the 13th’ film, and one I consider to be the best.
3. To date the most deserving Jason victim was Kia from “Freddy vs. Jason.”
2. If you think Jason being an anti-hero in “Freddy vs. Jason” was out of character, he does return in “Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash” to mutilate Monica Keena’s character Lori. Jason killed a dog, I don’t know why Keena was shocked that he kills Lori.